Monday, January 28, 2013

Co-Creating Combustible Circus Culture

Before I bring on the circus clowns I feel like whingeing about problems of the third world, which make me realise how much I take for granted because I'm from the lucky country. Without further adieu, my friends, here are *drum roll* ...

Kelly's Problems of the Third World

1. Having to manually push turds through the s-bend of the toilet because people have been partying in The Fifth Dimension all night and flushing their ass paper in the toilet instead of turfing it in the bin. Which creates a pipe blockage. Which means that the next person who empties their colon leaves a happy surprise for unsuspecting persons to break up with a stick and dredge through the s-bend if they want the toilet to work. I think I can call myself an s-bend warrior after today.

2. Not having any cash for the past few days because the two ATMs in town only work when they feel like it. Oh wait, avocados fall out of the trees here...I guess that's not so much of a problem.

aaaaaand that's it! Ok whinge over, onto the good shit!

Last night it was time to send in the clowns at The Fifth Dimension and they came a runnin' from every corner of the Earth. A troupe of Chilean and Mexican circus performers and gypsy musicians co-hosted the evening with us, and I'm talking crazy-ass dudes riding six foot tall unicycles whilst juggling machetes and setting shit on fire kind of thing. Serious clown action. We're all surprised that the cafe is still standing and that none of the avocado trees in the beer garden went up in flames. With a gypsy troupe of crazy fuckers like that you can imagine how many people were crawling over the fence to get in on the action...there was a sea of people pouring out into the street and we nearly lost the fence altogether. There's something very special about being able to make people come together to laugh and clap and sing and dance and go home full of happy vibes and badass pizza slices. Street performers have to be some of the bravest people in the world, giving their all for everyone and then passing a hat around at the end of the night and somehow making a living like that. I WANT IN ON THIS LIFESTYLE. These people are amazing and so free and they bring joy to the world wherever they go.

A camera phone doesn't do justice to the evening but here are some snaps from the end of the night when we were trying to boot people out on curfew. So by the time I snapped these badboys it was one a.m and this puppy (who hates people) was so tired that it didn't have the energy to stop me from spooning it. ZOMG CUTE OVERLOAD.



aaaaand I reiterate, it's past one a.m, fools, ya gotta go home now.



here are two of the space-weasels I get to work with, Oak and Brian. Maybe it's Maybelline.

In other breaking news, I have finished the first panel for the cafe. Over the course of the week in which it took to paint I've had an offer to paint murals on the walls of a local hostel, have been introduced to the local art school where I might be volunteering and teaching local kids to paint, and have been approached by a family who'd like me to tutor their kids privately. Not to mention meeting scores of really awesome people, locals and travellers all of whom have interesting stories and a slightly different take on life which helps me to review everything I do and to question what can change and how I can change those things that I don't enjoy about myself.

I don't know what the question is, but the answer is aliens, Panel 1 of 2. I'm kicking off on panel two manana (tomorrow), and I'M EXCITED! It's going to look awesome. This photo is pretty terrible and maybe I need to make friends with a photographer. Anyway you get the gist. As my brother pointed out, look at Quetzalcoatl shooting the breeze like a honey badger, wearing a peacock on his head like he doesn't give a fuck :)



No comments:

Post a Comment